[SciPy-dev] Building on Woody(Debian): good news, bad news.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Mar 22 21:16:03 CST 2002

hi,

First, the good news.  A while back I reported a bug with severe bug
with Python + f2py under Debian Linux that Pearu Peterson
investigated.  He filed a bug with the Python folks and found that the
bug was in the Debian packages.  He then filed a bug with the Debian
developers.  I just noticed yesterday that Woody has updated python
packages that fix this problem.  Here is the report.

The f2py tests and some of my modules all work for me (they used to
segfault).

I am having some difficulties with the new build process.  I'm using
the atlas libs from Debian GNU/Linux (woody).  When I try to do a

python setup.py build

I get an error saying atlas libs cant be found.  They are very much
installed.  I looked at the code and it seems that the code looks for
liblapack, libf77blas, libcblas, libatlas all in either /usr/lib/atlas
or /usr/local/lib/atlas (or a user specified directory).  Under debian
these libraries all exist but are not in /usr/lib/atlas.  The cblas,
f77blas and atlas libs are in /usr/lib the others in /usr/lib/atlas.
This fools the system_info.py script into thinking that there aren't
any useful atlas libs and hence the build does not proceed.  I worked
around the problem by creating links to these libraries in
/usr/lib/atlas.

After I built scipy the tests seem to run but I get the following
error:

In [1]: import scipy
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/scipy/integrate/vode.so: undefined symbol: f2py_report_on_exit

I dont know why this happens.  When I run the tests I get 4 failures.
But it does run and does not segfault anymore. :)

In [2]: scipy.test()
[snip]
FAIL: check_default_cols (test_misc.test_mean)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/scipy/tests/test_misc.py", line 53, in check_default_cols
    assert_array_equal(val,desired)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/scipy_test/scipy_test.py", line 301, in assert_array_equal
    assert alltrue(ravel(reduced)),\
AssertionError:
Arrays are not equal:

FAIL: check_qnan (test_misc.test_isnan)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/scipy/tests/test_misc.py", line 112, in check_qnan
    assert(isnan(log(-1.)) == 1)
AssertionError

FAIL: check_qnan (test_misc.test_isfinite)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/scipy/tests/test_misc.py", line 132, in check_qnan
    assert(isfinite(log(-1.)) == 0)
AssertionError
FAIL: check_qnan (test_misc.test_isinf)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/scipy/tests/test_misc.py", line 157, in check_qnan
    assert(isnan(log(-1.)) == 1)
AssertionError
Ran 262 tests in 3.281s

FAILED (failures=4)