[SciPy-dev] Exact calculation

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Nov 1 13:01:04 CST 2002

> real.py looks very nice (shows errors, has various elementary
> functions, has docs but no unittests:( etc.) but it is dead slow compared
> to GMPY. I would hope that in scipy we could have more efficient and
> longer lasting tools for exact calculation than real.py.

Thanks for the benchmarks.

I agree that gmpy is all better than real.py

It's license is LGPL.  In theory this is not a problem for SciPy
because the LGPL does not limit you in anyway except for changes made to
gmpy.  But, Eric will have to speak to this.

In practice, gmpy has a bit more backage to carry around, whereas real is
one file.

It would be nice to have on hand a multiple-precision library for
calculating certain constants or functions, for example.  I would be very
happy if we went with gmpy.

-Travis O.