[SciPy-dev] RE: [Scipy-cvs] world/scipy/tutorial installation.txt,1.3,1.4

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Wed Oct 2 12:35:58 CDT 2002


Ah.  I see you've already done this.  Ok.  Didn't notice my commit
failed.  Thanks for fixing this.

eric

> -----Original Message-----
> From: scipy-cvs-admin at scipy.org [mailto:scipy-cvs-admin at scipy.org] On
> Behalf Of pearu at localhost.localdomain
> Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 12:18 PM
> To: scipy-cvs at scipy.org
> Subject: [Scipy-cvs] world/scipy/tutorial installation.txt,1.3,1.4
> 
> Update of /home/cvsroot/world/scipy/tutorial
> In directory shaft:/tmp/cvs-serv6716
> 
> Modified Files:
> 	installation.txt
> Log Message:
> Corrected Scipy testing instructions + minor formatting. TODO: use
> docutils.
> 
> 
> Index: installation.txt
> ===================================================================
> RCS file: /home/cvsroot/world/scipy/tutorial/installation.txt,v
> retrieving revision 1.3
> retrieving revision 1.4
> diff -C2 -d -r1.3 -r1.4
> *** installation.txt	1 Oct 2002 18:07:01 -0000	1.3
> --- installation.txt	2 Oct 2002 17:17:39 -0000	1.4
> ***************
> *** 1,79 ****
>   Building SciPy on Windows.
> 
> ! First, if your interested in getting going as fast as possible with
> SciPy, I'd
> ! recommend you grab <this> nice click-installation package instead of
> trying to
> ! build it from scracth.  You only need all these tools if your
interested
> in mucking
> ! around with SciPy's internals or rebuilding it.  That said, all of
scipy
> requires
> ! (1) and (2), and the scipy.compiler module requires the gcc package
> discussed in
> ! (3), so you'll likely need to grab these three things unless you
already
> have them.
> 
>   What you need:
> 
> ! 1. <Python2.1.1=http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.1.1/Python-
> 2.1.1c1.exe> or
> 
>
<ActivePython2.1=http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython
/D
>
ownload?OS=Windows&version=2.1.0&build=211&download=/ActivePython/window
s/
> 2.1/ActivePython-2.1.0.msi>
> 
> !     You need Python 2.1 or higher.  ActiveState Python comes with
some
> nice
> !     extra packages bundled in (PythonWin sets the standard for
freely
> available
> !     interpreters), but all of these things are also available from
> www.python.org.
> !     You just have to click-install a few more times.
> 
> !     Python 2.0 may also work, but we haven't tested it and will
pretend
> we didn't hear
> !     you if you ask a question about it.  I know Python 1.52 won't
work.
> 
>   2. <Numeric 20=http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/numpy/Numeric-
> 20.0.0.win32-py2.1.exe> or higher
> 
> !     This is the core to Numeric computing in Python.  SciPy relies
> heavily on it.  You'll
> !     probably also want to get may also want to get the
> !
<fftpack=http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/numpy/FFTPACK-3.0.win32-
> py2.1.exe> module,
> !     although scipy has its own fft module, and the
> !     <random =
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/numpy/RNG-3.0.win32-
> py2.1.exe> package for
> !     random variable functions.
> 
>   3. <gcc -- mingw32=ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-
> win32/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/gcc-2.95.2-msvcrt.exe>
> 
> !    This is a click-install package from Mumit Khan's site that
includes
> the
> !    entire tool set(gcc, make, g77, nm, ar, etc)  you'll need for
> building
> !    SciPy. It lives in my c:\gcc-2.95.2 directory, and you need to
edit
> your
> !    environment to include this in your path.  For instructions on
how to
> do
> !    this are here <w2k>, <w98>.  This is a pretty old version (1999),
but
> it
> !    works fine for me.  Its been tested on Windows 2000 and windows
98
> !    successfully.
> 
> !    There is a <newer version=
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/mingw-1.0-20010608.tar.gz>
> !    from sourceforge.  Please let us know if you try this out.  Also
be
> aware
> !    that you need a patch if you use this on a win 9x machine.
> 
> !    Why aren't we using MSVC++?  The main reason is it doesn't come
with
> a
> !    fortran compiler, and scipy has *a lot* of fortran code in it.
It is
> !    possible that MSVC+Absoft or MSVC+Intel could get the job done,
but
> we
> !    haven't checked this out.  For those of you who only build things
if
> they
> !    come with a .dsw or .dsp file, I'm sorry.  I like working in the
> Visual
> !    Studio IDE to (outside of it, I'm reduced to printf for
debugging).
> Figure
> !    out a way to do it, and we'll put gladly give it a home.  For
now,
> setup.py
> !    is the only way to go (but its pretty dang good if you ask me).
> 
> !    By the way, this'll work with ActiveState Python or Python built
with
> MSVC.
> !    The original Python *does not* have to be built using gcc (thanks
to
> !    lib2def.py by <Robert Kern=mailto:kern at caltech.edu>).
> 
>   4. <fftw libraries=my library link> -- fastest fourier transform in
the
> west librareis
> 
> !     Unpack this file in your C:\ directory, as this is where scipy's
> setup.py
> !     file expects to find it. <These guys=http://www.fftw.org> don't
seem
> so
> !     fond of Mr. Gates, so the Windows build process isn't straight
> forward. The
> !     standard Unix build process works in cygwin, but the resulting
> library
> !     will be dependent on the cygwin.dll.  I couldn't get the
-mno-cygwin
> flag
> !     to work, nor could I get things to behave when I set gcc to the
> mingw32
> !     compiler.  Instead, I've put together a simple makefile and
config.h
> file
> !     that build all the libraries on windows using the mingw32 tool
chain
> !     discussed in (3). A source distrobution for this is <here>.
> 
>   5.  <atlas>  -- self-tuning version of blas and lapack routines
> 
> !     Actually, you don't really need these yet, but you soon will
when
> the
> !     linalg module is finished. Be the first one on your block to own
> them!
> !     Again, I've made a zip file of these little <gems> that you can
> unpack in
> !     your C:\ directory.  That's where (a future version of) setup.py
> expects to
> !     find them.
> 
>   Getting SciPy:
> --- 1,88 ----
>   Building SciPy on Windows.
> 
> ! First, if your interested in getting going as fast as possible with
> ! SciPy, I'd recommend you grab <this> nice click-installation package
> ! instead of trying to build it from scracth.  You only need all these
> ! tools if your interested in mucking around with SciPy's internals or
> ! rebuilding it.  That said, all of scipy requires (1) and (2), and
the
> ! scipy.compiler module requires the gcc package discussed in (3), so
> ! you'll likely need to grab these three things unless you already
have
> ! them.
> 
>   What you need:
> 
> ! 1. <Python2.1.1=http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.1.1/Python-
> 2.1.1c1.exe>
> !    or
> 
>
<ActivePython2.1=http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython
/D
>
ownload?OS=Windows&version=2.1.0&build=211&download=/ActivePython/window
s/
> 2.1/ActivePython-2.1.0.msi>
> 
> !     You need Python 2.1 or higher.  ActiveState Python comes with
some
> !     nice extra packages bundled in (PythonWin sets the standard for
> !     freely available interpreters), but all of these things are also
> !     available from www.python.org.  You just have to click-install a
> !     few more times.
> 
> !     Python 2.0 may also work, but we haven't tested it and will
> !     pretend we didn't hear you if you ask a question about it.  I
know
> !     Python 1.52 won't work.
> 
>   2. <Numeric 20=http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/numpy/Numeric-
> 20.0.0.win32-py2.1.exe> or higher
> 
> !     This is the core to Numeric computing in Python.  SciPy relies
> !     heavily on it.  You'll probably also want to get may also want
to
> !     get the
> !
<fftpack=http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/numpy/FFTPACK-3.0.win32-
> py2.1.exe>
> !     module, although scipy has its own fft module, and the
> !     <random =
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/numpy/RNG-3.0.win32-
> py2.1.exe>
> !     package for random variable functions.
> 
>   3. <gcc -- mingw32=ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-
> win32/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/gcc-2.95.2-msvcrt.exe>
> 
> !    This is a click-install package from Mumit Khan's site that
> !    includes the entire tool set(gcc, make, g77, nm, ar, etc) you'll
> !    need for building SciPy. It lives in my c:\gcc-2.95.2 directory,
> !    and you need to edit your environment to include this in your
path.
> !    For instructions on how to do this are here <w2k>, <w98>.  This
is
> !    a pretty old version (1999), but it works fine for me.  Its been
> !    tested on Windows 2000 and windows 98 successfully.
> 
> !    There is a <newer
> version=http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/mingw-1.0-
> 20010608.tar.gz>
> !    from sourceforge.  Please let us know if you try this out.  Also
be
> !    aware that you need a patch if you use this on a win 9x machine.
> 
> !    Why aren't we using MSVC++?  The main reason is it doesn't come
> !    with a fortran compiler, and scipy has *a lot* of fortran code in
> !    it.  It is possible that MSVC+Absoft or MSVC+Intel could get the
> !    job done, but we haven't checked this out.  For those of you who
> !    only build things if they come with a .dsw or .dsp file, I'm
sorry.
> !    I like working in the Visual Studio IDE to (outside of it, I'm
> !    reduced to printf for debugging).  Figure out a way to do it, and
> !    we'll put gladly give it a home.  For now, setup.py is the only
way
> !    to go (but its pretty dang good if you ask me).
> 
> !    By the way, this'll work with ActiveState Python or Python built
> !    with MSVC.  The original Python *does not* have to be built using
> !    gcc (thanks to lib2def.py by <Robert
Kern=mailto:kern at caltech.edu>).
> 
>   4. <fftw libraries=my library link> -- fastest fourier transform in
the
> west librareis
> 
> !     Unpack this file in your C:\ directory, as this is where scipy's
> !     setup.py file expects to find it. <These
guys=http://www.fftw.org>
> !     don't seem so fond of Mr. Gates, so the Windows build process
> !     isn't straight forward. The standard Unix build process works in
> !     cygwin, but the resulting library will be dependent on the
> !     cygwin.dll.  I couldn't get the -mno-cygwin flag to work, nor
> !     could I get things to behave when I set gcc to the mingw32
> !     compiler.  Instead, I've put together a simple makefile and
> !     config.h file that build all the libraries on windows using the
> !     mingw32 tool chain discussed in (3). A source distrobution for
> !     this is <here>.
> 
>   5.  <atlas>  -- self-tuning version of blas and lapack routines
> 
> !     Actually, you don't really need these yet, but you soon will
when
> !     the linalg module is finished. Be the first one on your block to
> !     own them!  Again, I've made a zip file of these little <gems>
that
> !     you can unpack in your C:\ directory.  That's where (a future
> !     version of) setup.py expects to find them.
> 
>   Getting SciPy:
> ***************
> *** 84,92 ****
>       <report bugs= bug page>, and don't use it in
>       <air traffic control
>
software=http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&th=d3
46
> 0cb8b82dc6d,129&start=0>.
> !     Unpack this zip file in c:\temp, or some other temporary place,
and
> then
> !     execute the setup.py file( Assuming you've installed (1) through
> (5)).
> !     This is much like a makefile for the Unix geeks in the crowd,
but it
> is
> !     "Python-aware" and handles all versioning and installation path
> issues
> !     automatically.
> 
>           c:\> cd c:\temp\scipy
> --- 93,101 ----
>       <report bugs= bug page>, and don't use it in
>       <air traffic control
>
software=http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&th=d3
46
> 0cb8b82dc6d,129&start=0>.
> !     Unpack this zip file in c:\temp, or some other temporary place,
> !     and then execute the setup.py file( Assuming you've installed
(1)
> !     through (5)).  This is much like a makefile for the Unix geeks
in
> !     the crowd, but it is "Python-aware" and handles all versioning
and
> !     installation path issues automatically.
> 
>           c:\> cd c:\temp\scipy
> ***************
> *** 96,116 ****
>           << runs for maybe a minute copying files into the home
python
> directory >>
> 
> !     For those who want to be on the bleeding edge, you can also
check
> the latest
> !     snapshot of SciPy out of the
> !     <CVS repository=http://scipy.org/download/CVSInstruct>
> 
>   7. Testing SciPy
> 
> !     Python comes with some unit tests and the numbers are growing
every
> day
> !     (well monthly anyway). To test your installation use
> scipy.test('fast') to
> !     test the quick sub-set of all tests or scipy.test() to run all
> available
> !     tests.  The first should take less than one second, the second
will
> take
> !     minutes, depending on your processor speed because it includes
the
> !     scipy.compiler tests which give gcc a major workout.
> 
>           c:> python
>           ...
>           >>> import scipy
> !         >>> scipy.test('fast')
>           No test suite found for  scipy.build_flib
>           No test suite found for  scipy.data_store
> --- 105,125 ----
>           << runs for maybe a minute copying files into the home
python
> directory >>
> 
> !     For those who want to be on the bleeding edge, you can also
check
> !     the latest snapshot of SciPy out of the <CVS
> repository=http://scipy.org/download/CVSInstruct>
> 
>   7. Testing SciPy
> 
> !     Python comes with some unit tests and the numbers are growing
> !     every day (well monthly anyway). To test your installation use
> !     scipy.test(1) to test the quick sub-set of all tests or
> !     scipy.test(10) to run all available tests.  The first should
take
> !     less than one second, the second will take minutes, depending on
> !     your processor speed because it includes the scipy.compiler
tests
> !     which give gcc a major workout.
> 
>           c:> python
>           ...
>           >>> import scipy
> !         >>> scipy.test(1)
>           No test suite found for  scipy.build_flib
>           No test suite found for  scipy.data_store
> ***************
> *** 145,155 ****
>           >>>
> 
> !         If any tests fail, please report them to the <bugs list>,
and
> include the
> !         output in your posting.
> 
>   8. <Mailing Lists=http://scipy.org/MailList>
> 
> !    Subscribing to the developer or user mailing lists will keep you
up
> with
> !    SciPy's latest
> !    happenings.
> 
> --- 154,163 ----
>           >>>
> 
> !         If any tests fail, please report them to the <bugs list>,
and
> !         include the output in your posting.
> 
>   8. <Mailing Lists=http://scipy.org/MailList>
> 
> !    Subscribing to the developer or user mailing lists will keep you
up
> !    with SciPy's latest happenings.
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Scipy-cvs mailing list
> Scipy-cvs at scipy.org
> http://scipy.net/mailman/listinfo/scipy-cvs




More information about the Scipy-dev mailing list