[SciPy-dev] RE: [Scipy-cvs] world/scipy/sparse setup_sparse.py,1.1,1.2

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Oct 2 23:52:21 CDT 2002

[snip]

    EJ> The platform that I want to keep simplest unfortunately won't
    EJ> benefit from any of this.  The windows click-button-install
    EJ> that distutils creates don't have the ability to check any of
    EJ> this version stuff and do conditional installs.  For these
    EJ> guys, clobbering old installations or requiring a two teered
    EJ> installation process are the only (short term) solutions.

    EJ> What are other people's opinions on the subject?

If scipy_base, scipy_distutils and scipy_test do not have any
dependencies like ATLAS, wxPython, Numeric etc.  Then simply package
scipy_core (or scipy_base) as a package that contains these.

Make scipy, weave, chaco etc.  simply require this scipy_core package
apart from their own specific requirements (ReportLab, wxPython etc.).

This way you isolate out dependencies and make it easy for packagers
and users.  I'm sure folks would not have difficulty in installing one
package using python setup.py (especially if its easy and has no hard
to install dependencies).  In this case they only do it once and then
can install scipy, weave, chaco, f2py and whatnot.

I think this is the best solution.

cheers,
prabhu