[SciPy-dev] Grace

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Fri Jan 3 10:22:27 CST 2003

SciPy is a general purpose library for scientific computing.  All of
these are principally graphing tools.

You're probably looking for the difference between them and Chaco.
Generally, they are similar in that they all attack the problem of
scientific plotting.  The two main differences are that:

(a) Chaco is designed to be platform independent so that it doesn't rely
on a specific windowing toolkit.

(b) Chaco is designed to be used from within Python either from the
command line, from scripts, or embedded as a widget in a GUI
application.

All the apps you mention are different in at least one respect from
Chaco.
Grace and SciGraphica are both extremely powerful stand-alone graphing
tools. We adopted the tree view for property dialogs idea after looking
at scigraphica.  I haven't looked at PyQwt very closely.

At some point I believe SciGraphica will actually be built as python
modules that can be used in the same way as Chaco for users on a
platform that supports GTK.  That will be a nice feature.

 eric
eric jones                    515 Congress Ave
www.enthought.com             Suite 1614
512 536-1057                  Austin, Tx 78701