[SciPy-dev] RE: [Scipy-cvs] CVSROOT modules,1.39,1.40

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Fri Mar 7 14:17:56 CST 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, eric jones wrote:

> > > Here are a couple of other suggestions:
> > >
> > > 1)
> > > If we're going to have a huge reorg of CVS, should we go ahead and
> make
> > > it possible to import/test scipy from the top level of the scipy
> > > sandbox?  Seems this causes many people to trip up.
> >
> > This would mean moving all scipy packages (at least those that contain
> > extension modules) to some scipy subdirectory, say, lib. This is to
> > prevent importing those packages when importing scipy from its source
> > directory.
> >
> > Hmm, there might be also people who checkout scipy to their home
> > and then try to import scipy while being in home directory.
> > One cure for this is to rename world/scipy to something else.
> > Or better yet, people should checkout scipy using scipy_all instead of
> > scipy, this should be mentioned in "Using CVS".
> >

> If we move all python files, including __init__.py into lib, there won't
> be an issue right?  If the scipy directory doesn't have an __init__.py,
> python won't consider it a package.

That's a good point. If we would move all files to lib then
CVSROOT/modules could be made cleaner as well. No need for scipy_all,
linalg_all, etc. modules anymore, scipy, linalg, etc. would cover
all usages then.
I think this makes worth messing with scipy CVS once again.
My recent experience is that it seems to be quite safe to move
directories around CVS repository server since we haven't used any fancy
CVS stuff that could get broken otherwise.

Eric, are you going to make this lib hack or shall I do it?
In any case, scipy CVS will be unstable for some time as few setup.py
files need to be adapted to these changes as well.

Pearu