[SciPy-dev] --prefix not being accepted by setup.py now?

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Mar 11 18:59:21 CST 2003

eric jones wrote:

>>>2.
>>>The xplt files seem to be rebuilt everytime I run setup.py, even if
>>>

>they
>

>>>have been previously built.
>>>

>>Fixed. However there is still one gotcha: when using the same CVS tree
>>for different platform, one must remove pygist/Make.cfg whenever
>>

>switching
>

>>the platforms. Since pygist/Make.cfg is not used anywhere else but
>>in setup_xplt.getallparams() function then Make.cfg file should be
>>created in distutils platform specific temporary directory
>>(e.g build/temp.linux-i686-2.2).
>>

>I have made a patch that builds the makefile.  I'll tst it tomorrow and
>check it in.  It seems fairly brittle though to be build Makefiles from
>setup.py files.  How hard is it to have distutils build everything
>instead of relying on the make file?

It's not a Make file.  It's just a configuration file:   All it does is
store parameters (like library locations and so forth) which are found
by running some c code tests (like configure does).

distutils still handles all the building process, this file is only used
to store some locations and define statements.

We could definitely do it differently,  This is a first draft of
adapting the method that pygist is using.

-Travis O.