[SciPy-dev] Updated Debian packages of scipy and f2py

José Fonseca j_r_fonseca at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 19:51:05 CDT 2003

I've made new debian packages of scipy and f2py that follow the Pearu
Peterson's packaging guidelines
<http://scipy.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/scipy/PACKAGERS.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup>.
I.e., they're made from CVS and they can all hapilly cohabitate in your
debian machine. Thanks to Pearu for such detailed document.

Scipy tests went fine but I didn't do any testing on chaco yet. Please
report issues (that you think are caused by the packaging) directly to
me.

The next step in the packaging will be making them debian policy
complaint, in order to have them in debian proper.

Regards,

Jose Fonseca

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:47:32AM +0300, Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-15] José Fonseca wrote:
>
> > I've make Debian packages of scipy and f2py. They are available from my
> > apt-get repository at:
> >
> >   http://jrfonseca.dyndns.org/debian/
> >
> > I referred to Joe Reinhardt's packages http://people.debian.org/~jmr/
> > but have done these packages from scratch. These come for all python
> > versions in debian unstable (2.1, 2.2 and 2.3).
>
> Great!
>
> > I've run the standard tests successfully but I'd appreciate that
> > problems with these packages to be reported to me [privately] as I'd
> > like to have these on Debian proper at some time.
> >
> > One tricky issue I'd like to address with the scipy and f2py maintainers
> > is the the scipy_distutils. Both scipy and f2py attempt to install to
> > /usr/lib/python*/site-packages/scipy_distutils and at least on Debian
> > this is not admissible so the packages conflict with each other and are
> > mutually exclusive. This is particularly even more annoying for me,
> > since for building scipy f2py is needed, so I need to install and
> > uninstall them as a maniac. Is there any solution that allow both these
> > packages to happily co-exist in a tree without overlapping?
>
> This is a long lasting issue and several solutions have been proposed, see
> scipy mailing archives.
>
> The current solution for package installation of scipy,f2py,etc
> would be the following:

[...]