[SciPy-dev] build_flib.py again

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue Oct 28 10:33:27 CST 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-15] Berthold Höllmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> May I ask, what is the rationale for the changes for the swithches in
> the 'compaq_visual_fortran_compiler' class between CVS version 1.80
> and today's head. The old ones (working for me were) (line 1527):
>
>         switches = ' /nologo /MD /W1
/iface:cref /iface=nomixed_str_len_arg '

> in current head I find (not working for me) (line 1537-1539):
>
>         switches = ' /nologo /nodebug /MD /WX '\
>                    ' /iface=(cref,nomixed_str_len_arg) /names:lowercase '\
>                    ' /assume:underscore /threads '
>
> shouldn't /nodebug only be set if not in debug mode?

I agree.

> The main problems
> I have with the /iface and /names settings that break some code by me,
> ie my carefully compiled Atlas/lapack libraries under WinXP.

The rationale is that all supported compilers should behave in
the same way, that is, lower cases and append underscore to fortran
symbols. Different compilers may behave differently in this respect and
with additional switches one can "tune" a compiler as needed.
Earlier compaq_visual_fortran_compiler did not follow this
convention and hence the changes. Sorry that it broke some of your
codes and I hope it is not too much trouble for you to fix them.

Pearu