[SciPy-dev] Resolving win 32 problems

Ted Bach tbach at bu.edu
Thu Apr 8 12:48:51 CDT 2004

Dear Scipy Developers,

I am considering using scipy as a foundation and helper package for
my own SIMP/STEP (http://pm.bu.edu/step) software for cellular automata
and lattice gas experiments.  The scipy environment would be helpful
in providing rendering and viewing capabilities, allowing external
compilation of fast routines via weave, as well as providing auxilary
libraries for plotting statistics gathered from long simulations.

I have been quite impressed with scipy on Linux, however, an important
aspect of my choice is Win32 compatability.   Unfortunately, I have not
been able to get any of the Win32 binaries to work at all.  For example,
simply importing scipy causes a crash!  (On Windows XP with python2.3
and SciPy-0.2.1_260.4162.win32-py2.3.exe and
Scipy_core-0.2.2_alpha_108.1756.win32-py2.3.exe).

I have seen several reports that the Windows release has not been
working (on the Bug Tracker) and  have begun to wonder how far the project
has drifted from Windows compatability and whether the problems are
serious.  Are there plans to fix these problems in the near future?

Since I am quite keen to use scipy and potentially integrate my software
with it down the road, I would be happy to spend some time trying to
address these issues myself if someone can point me to the current
suspected problems and the strategy (if it exists) for overcoming them.

Cheers,

Ted

Ted Bach                tbach at bu.edu    |home:
Boston University       617/353-0294    |617/776-2926
ECE Dept.               fax    -6640    |223 Somerville Ave Apt 2
8 St Mary's St.	                        |Somerville, MA 02143
Boston, MA 02215                        |