[SciPy-dev] Resolving win 32 problems

Travis N. Vaught travis at enthought.com
Thu Apr 8 15:07:25 CDT 2004

Ted Bach wrote:

>Dear Scipy Developers,
>
>I am considering using scipy as a foundation and helper package for
>my own SIMP/STEP (http://pm.bu.edu/step) software for cellular automata
>and lattice gas experiments.  The scipy environment would be helpful
>in providing rendering and viewing capabilities, allowing external
>compilation of fast routines via weave, as well as providing auxilary
>libraries for plotting statistics gathered from long simulations.
>
>I have been quite impressed with scipy on Linux, however, an important
>aspect of my choice is Win32 compatability.   Unfortunately, I have not
>been able to get any of the Win32 binaries to work at all.  For example,
>simply importing scipy causes a crash!  (On Windows XP with python2.3
>and SciPy-0.2.1_260.4162.win32-py2.3.exe and
>Scipy_core-0.2.2_alpha_108.1756.win32-py2.3.exe).

This is the point where I typically recommend using the Python
Distribution that Enthought puts out:

http://www.enthought.com/python

It includes scipy and many other useful pieces, and, most importantly,
installs and works out of the box.

>I have seen several reports that the Windows release has not been
>working (on the Bug Tracker) and  have begun to wonder how far the project
>has drifted from Windows compatability and whether the problems are
>serious.  Are there plans to fix these problems in the near future?

There will soon be another tagged release of scipy (version 0.3) within
a week or two and we'll make sure the windows binaries are working.
Others may be able to provide more immediate help with your specific
problems.

>Since I am quite keen to use scipy and potentially integrate my software
>with it down the road, I would be happy to spend some time trying to
>address these issues myself if someone can point me to the current
>suspected problems and the strategy (if it exists) for overcoming them.

We welcome any help you may be able to provide--I'll try to take a look
at the latest build and see what's happening.  BTW, we plan to refactor
the creaking scipy.org site and announce a new plone-based site soon, so
help in the areas of documentation and platform testing would be greatly
appreciated.  We'll include a release plan/strategy as well, to try to
identify and get feedback on areas where future development will
concentrate.

Thanks for the interest.

Travis (Vaught)