[SciPy-dev] Python interface to COBYLA

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue Apr 13 12:18:44 CDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Jean-Sebastien Roy wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Following my previous mail, I did a preliminary Python interface to
> M.J.D. Powell COBYLA optimization package.
>
> I translated the Fortran package to C via f2c, did a few adjustments,
> and added a Python interface so it could be easily integrated into SciPy.
> As stated in a previous mail, M.J.D. Powell agreed for the inclusion of
> COBYLA in SciPy. (Many thanks to him !)

Great! Thank you for making it possible to include COBYLA to Scipy!

> I've attached the preliminary Python interface. Suggestions are welcome!

I have one suggestion: use F2PY to generate Python interfaces to Fortran
programs. There are several advantages for doing so. For example, the
interface is more efficient and less errorprone and easier to maintain
than handwritten wrappers. Let me know if you have any troubles using
F2PY.

Thanks,
Pearu