[SciPy-dev] CVS scipy.test() segfaulting on me on a Fedora2 box

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Dec 22 12:42:11 CST 2004

Charles Harris wrote:
> Ok,
>
> I've got the reorganized version from cvs and still don't get a segfault
> using the distro BLAS and gcc 3.4.2.

I suspect the problem lies with ATLAS.  I am using
atlas3.6.0_Linux_P4SSE2_2HT.tgz from the scipy website, which from reading the
included makefile, was built as follows:

    F77 = /home/pearu/bin/g77
    F77FLAGS = -fomit-frame-pointer -O -fno-second-underscore

I think the problem is ATLAS, b/c the top of the backtrace I included
yesterday had this:

#0  0x55cd67c2 in ATL_cdotc_xp0yp0aXbX ()
     from /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/lib/lapack/flapack.so

That first symbol is, I imagine, an ATLAS call.  But Pearu seems to have built
these binaries with pretty conservative flags (-O), and when you use the
distro BLAS (no ATLAS) you don't get any segfault.  So perhaps it's a bug in
ATLAS and/or g77 which appears even with basic optimizations.

Cheers,