[SciPy-dev] specfun compile errors on windows

Travis N. Vaught travis at enthought.com
Mon Jan 19 13:53:01 CST 2004

Greetings,

I finally have taken the time to look at our nightly builds of scipy for
win32 and noticed that specfun is not compiling--as some have reported
here:

http://www.scipy.org/site_content/mailman?fn=scipy-user/2004-January/002
457.html

and a link to the threaded discussion is here:

http://www.scipy.org/site_content/mailman?fn=scipy-user/2004-January/thr
ead.html

Specifically you get an 'internal compiler error' when you have -O3 set
(using no optimization setting seems to work).

I've tried it with gcc ~3.2 and it compiles fine but 3.2.3 and a 3.3.1
(that comes with cygwin) were not able to compile it.

Since specfun.f is a rather large file it would be impossible for me to
reduce this to a simple case for reporting to the g77 folks or finding a
workaround.  Does anyone (Travis O.?) want to take a stab at this?  (It
would stink to have to specify gcc 3.2 or below as a build requirement
on windows.)

Thanks,

Travis

BTW

Here's what I get with gcc 3.3.1:

....<a bunch of warnings>...

Lib\special\specfun\specfun.f: In subroutine `cgama':
Lib\special\specfun\specfun.f:7786: warning: `y1' might be used
uninitialized in
 this function
Lib\special\specfun\specfun.f:7794: warning: `na' might be used
uninitialized in
 this function
Lib\special\specfun\specfun.f: In subroutine `aswfb':
Lib\special\specfun\specfun.f:7871: warning: `sw' might be used
uninitialized in
 this function
Lib\special\specfun\specfun.f:7881: Internal compiler error in
emit_swap_insn, a
t reg-stack.c:990
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://www.mingw.org/bugs.shtml> for instructions.
warning: build_py: package init file 'Lib\tests\__init__.py' not found
(or not a
 regular file)
warning: build_py: package init file
'c:\temp\2.1\scipy\Lib\cluster\tests\__init
__.py' not found (or not a regular file)
warning: build_py: package init file
'c:\temp\2.1\scipy\Lib\fftpack\tests\__init
__.py' not found (or not a regular file)

...<more warnings>...

Travis N. Vaught
Enthought, Inc.
(512)536-1057