[SciPy-dev] PyFace question

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Mon May 17 15:46:29 CDT 2004

Stephen C. Waterbury wrote:

> Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>> I've seen what Traits can do.  If PyFace is tightly coupled to
>> Traits, then it probably makes sense for PyFace to be fully developed
>> as a separate project. Traits are amazing, and having a gui layer
>> which intelligently uses them is probably a very worthwile
>> development.  Thanks for the clarification, Eric.
>

> I shouldn't be "tightly coupled", unless PyFace is a Jython app.

It is a wxPython toolkit, so it is CPython, not Jython.  As far as
Traits go, it is as much paradigm for building classes as much as a
toolkit.  As such, it is extremely tightly integrated with PyFace.

> (If so, then I'm not interested. ;)  If not, is there some way that the
> Traits approach is not orthogonal to a simplified GUI layer like
> PythonCard?

PyFace is more an MVC layer over the standard wxPython widgets.  It
doesn't really address the layout issues, so they may be orthogonal.
Not sure how far we're going to get here though in this discussion
without PyFace and friends being released.  Without seeing the code and
how it is used, it is difficult for everyone to be on the same page.  I
expect this to happen sometime this summer.  (It was a job posting, not
a software release announcment :-)  Hopefully, once it is released, we
can all discuss its merits and how it might interface with other tools.

see ya,
eric