[SciPy-dev] Accessible SciPy (ASP) project

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Mon Nov 1 03:14:22 CST 2004

    RK> IPython seems to be orthogonal to scipy. I'd be -1 on making
    RK> IPython depend on scipy or scipy_core. IPython's potential
    RK> audience is much wider than scipy's. Looking the other way, I

With all due respect to Fernando, I agree.

    RK> don't think scipy would benefit much from having IPython as
    RK> part of it. Perhaps when IPython gets rewritten to be a more
    RK> flexible library for building interactive environments, then
    RK> it would make some sense to bundle IPython into scipy.

Actually, that only makes the case stronger for it to be separate from
scipy.  I think all that needs to be done is for IPython to be bundled
along with Enthon.  Installing IPython on non-MS platforms is a
breeze.  Perhaps a yum archive or something for those who don't want
to mess with source tarballs or GNU/stow[1].

Ideally, IPython should be the default Python shell, so it should
really become part of Python.

cheers,
prabhu

[1] -- I honestly think GNU/stow is a vastly underused piece of
software.  Even on a Debian testing system I need to build packages
from source and GNU/stow makes managing these source based packages
almost totally painless.