[SciPy-dev] Accessible SciPy (ASP) project

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Mon Nov 1 12:55:03 CST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Arnd Baecker apparently wrote:
>   http://docutils.sourceforge.net/sandbox/cben/rolehack/README.html

Well the name says it, doesn't it?
But it's a step along the way.

I was hoping Pearu was aware of major developments in
reST's support of LaTeX.  In particular, I was hoping
that the projected Itex support had been realized,
which (drawing on Mozilla's work) would mean that the
math could be included in both LaTeX and XHTML files
(containing MML).  This would really sell me.

Note that might *still* leave many problems.  E.g.,
i. how to distinguish equation display types
   (probably the default environment should be 'gather'?)
ii. citation in reST is extremely limited, at least as
    I understand it.  E.g., I believe only one LaTeX
    citation command is supported, when the obvious thing
    to attempt is support of the standard natbib citation
    commands.  How? Perhaps allowing an optional argument
    like [t::this] [p::orthat].
    (Comment: citation is not even covered in the Primer,
    suggesting this is not seen as a priority.)
iii. citation again: interaction with external bibliographic
     databases is crucial for any project that takes citation
     seriously.  Python is well suited to this, but reST
     appears not to have taken steps toward it. (?)

fwiw,
Alan Isaac