[SciPy-dev] Re: Accessible SciPy (ASP) project

Janet Swisher swisher at enthought.com
Mon Nov 1 18:14:00 CST 2004

I agree with the gist of your message (especially since you used some of my
ideas :-)

I disagree that OpenOffice.org is "substantially more primitive" than Word
for book-building. The current version (1.1.3) is substantially improved
over 1.0, and version 2.0 (in development) will be better yet. OOo and Word
have different strengths and weaknesses. While I haven't used OOo for a
project as large as you describe, I would place it above Word and below
FrameMaker in capability for book-length projects, among WYSIWYG apps.

> I think OOo and ReST fall far short, for books.

I agree that ReST is not a good choice for books. That doesn't mean we can't
use it for shorter documents.

> However, if someone can post a similar description of a large
> effort to produce a book using different open tools, I would
> be interested to read it (the description, not the book!).

No personal experience, but another option that is widely used in the open
source world is the DocBook XML DTD. For example, the Blender3d
documentation uses it
(http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Documentation_Project.264.0.html). (This page
mentions using TeX for equations, but in a quick browse of the Blender3d
docs, I didn't see any.) There are probably many other examples of open
source projects that use DocBook. It is also one of O'Reilly's accepted
formats.

--Janet