[SciPy-dev] Accessible SciPy (ASP) project

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue Nov 2 03:15:04 CST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> I should chime in here on SciPy documentation, as I am trying to set-up a
> system that would allow users to contribute documentation to Python in a more
> fluid manner.
>
> First of all,  tools such as LyX and TeXMacs make the LaTeX-is-too-hard line
> out of date.    LyX for example is not hard to use to write documentation.
> Native binaries are available on Windows.    People who still flounder in raw
> LaTeX have just not made use of the more useful front ends.

Playing a bit with LyX again, I find it more acceptable general solution
than OO.
- there is almost zero learning curve to get started with it
- it supports importing number of different file formats, including Word
   documents (I just tried and it works great!), making the format of
   contributed documentations rather free.

Win32 port of LyX requires MiXTeX installed.

Eric, Janet, have you tried LyX on windows? How it looks for a Windows user?

There have been several documentation tools suggested for Scipy docs and
there seems to be a consensus that doc writers should have a freedom to
choose a format. But let me point out that this also introduces a problem
of maintaining documentations.

Pearu