[SciPy-dev] Accessible SciPy (ASP) project

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Mon Nov 1 20:37:09 CST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Perry Greenfield apparently wrote:
> Tables are a nightmare in TeX/LaTeX (and far easier with
> GUI's!). And it seems to me that tables are pretty painful
> with ReST. Sure, visually they look ok in the ASCII, but
> editing them is a major pain (not that I've used it for
> that, but it sure looks that way).

I accept the general point (Word Perfect's table editor
is hard to beat if you need to easily adjust table
details visually) BUT
i. There are GUI's for LaTeX that include table editors,
including Lyx
ii. There are also table editors for LaTeX, e.g.,
        http://www.g32.org/latable/
iii. there are other nice ways to produce maintainable
tables including in reST e.g.
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/267662

And finally a question: is table support a crucial
documentation feature?

fwiw,
Alan Isaac