[SciPy-dev] Accessible SciPy (ASP) project

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Nov 2 11:28:50 CST 2004

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>

>> I should chime in here on SciPy documentation, as I am trying to
>> set-up a system that would allow users to contribute documentation to
>> Python in a more fluid manner.
>>
>> First of all,  tools such as LyX and TeXMacs make the
>> LaTeX-is-too-hard line out of date.    LyX for example is not hard to
>> use to write documentation. Native binaries are available on
>> Windows.    People who still flounder in raw LaTeX have just not made
>> use of the more useful front ends.
>

> Playing a bit with LyX again, I find it more acceptable general
> solution than OO.
> - there is almost zero learning curve to get started with it
> - it supports importing number of different file formats, including Word
>   documents (I just tried and it works great!), making the format of
>   contributed documentations rather free.
>
> Win32 port of LyX requires MiXTeX installed.
>
> Eric, Janet, have you tried LyX on windows? How it looks for a Windows
> user?

I've used LyX on Windows and it seems to work fine.  The version that
uses Qt  (the easiest one to install) has some alignment problems for on
screen display of sums and integrals (the packager says it is a problem
with Qt) but other than that minor annoyance works just fine.

Fernando really gave a good description for LyX and I would just mention
that I have also been using it very successfully since about the same
time.   I write all my documents using LyX now.      I would like to
hear from other Windows users about their success with LyX (you do have
to have MikTeX installed to get other outputs besides the onscreen
display and the .lyx text file).

The tutorial is written in LyX.  HTML could be produced but I haven't
done that yet.

-Travis