[SciPy-dev] Re: ASP: Ipython in SciPy

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Wed Nov 3 10:50:47 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 07:01, Joe Harrington wrote:

> yum install scipy-all

This seems like the perfect solution.  In fact I want to do something
similar for the workstations I manage for my local configuration
information.

> Regarding docs, Ipython is not just a 2-paragraph thing.  Being the
> outstanding doc writers that we are, we will offer examples on every
> topic.  The prompt in those examples will be an Ipython prompt.  We'll
> be telling users to use features of Ipython to debug and to get help,
> among other things.

As someone who volunteered to write a task-oriented tutorial at SciPy
'04, I've been following this conversation with interest, although I've
not contributed much so far.  What I've spent the last few months doing
is going through the current numarray docs with a fine tooth comb, and
I've got quite a few suggestions for improvements up at SourceForge.

While working on the above, I found that cutting and pasting output from
IPython inevitably made the document a lot longer because of the
traceback.  How would people feel if I turned off that traceback for
user documentation examples?  It can be a bit hard to find the actual
error message in the traceback, especially in documentation where the
colored text doesn't appear.

Steve

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge