[SciPy-dev] Re: ASP: Ipython in SciPy

Joe Harrington jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Wed Nov 3 11:34:27 CST 2004

Fernando:

>...should this info (what could be considered 'development best practices
>with ipython') go into the scipy tutorial or into the ipython manual
>proper?

Well, scientific data analysis is a bit like development.  You make a
set of routines that read in and reduce a dataset.  The vast majority
of scientific users follow the "insert print statements" method of
debugging.  When I teach my classes to use debugging techniques like
setting breakpoints, looking at variables, stepping the code a line at
a time, and so on, their homework time shortens by 30%.  So I think it
is important to teach scientific users to debug.  However, the level
of detail may differ greatly between the two manuals.  Most scientists
would consider this to be in the category of "random computer tricks
that waste my time", so if it's not short and sweet, they'll skip it.

--jh--