[SciPy-dev] Text relocation errors when compiling Numeric for Solaris 8 x86

Charles Fultz fultz at cs.purdue.edu
Thu Nov 4 09:45:49 CST 2004

I've followed the instructions here:
http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildatlas4scipy.txt
for building BLAS, LAPACK and ATLAS.  Everything
seems to go as expected.  No problems or errors.

However, when I go to build Numeric and link against
the resultant libraries above, I get several 'Text relocation
remains against symbol' errors.  Here is the top of the
output from running 'python setup.py install':
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building 'lapack_lite' extension
/p/gcc3/bin/gcc -R/p/gcc3/lib -shared
build/temp.solaris-2.8-i86pc-2.3/Src/lapac
k_litemodule.o -L/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X86 -llapack -lcblas
-lf77blas -
latlas -lg2c -o build/lib.solaris-2.8-i86pc-2.3/lapack_lite.so
Text relocation remains                         referenced
     against symbol                  offset      in file
<unknown>                           0x38
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/liblapack.a(dgeev.o)
<unknown>                           0x56
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/liblapack.a(dgeev.o)
<unknown>                           0xdf
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/liblapack.a(dgeev.o)
<unknown>                           0xe7
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/liblapack.a(dgeev.o)
<unknown>                           0xef
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/liblapack.a(dgeev.o)
<unknown>                           0xf4
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/liblapack.a(dgeev.o)
<unknown>                           0xf9
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/liblapack.a(dgeev.o)
<unknown>                           0x154
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/liblapack.a(dgeev.o)
<unknown>                           0x15c
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/liblapack.a(dgeev.o)
<unknown>

And SEVERAL more lines ending with:
ATL_dcopy_xp1yp1aXbX                0x11e
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/libatlas.a(ATL_dcopy.o)
ATL_dcopy_xp0yp0aXbX                0x133
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/libatlas.a(ATL_dcopy.o)
ATL_daxpy_xp1yp1aXbX                0x13e
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/libatlas.a(ATL_daxpy.o)
ATL_daxpy_xp0yp0aXbX                0x15a
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/libatlas.a(ATL_daxpy.o)
ATL_diamax_xp1yp0aXbX               0x9a
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/libatlas.a(ATL_diamax.o)
ATL_diamax_xp0yp0aXbX               0xa7
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/libatlas.a(ATL_diamax.o)
ATL_znrm2_xp0yp0aXbX                0xaa
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/libatlas.a(ATL_znrm2.o)
ATL_dasum                           0x91
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/libatlas.a(ATL_zasum.o)
ATL_zasum_xp0yp0aXbX                0x9e
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/libatlas.a(ATL_zasum.o)
ATL_zdot_xp1yp1aXbX                 0x135
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/libatlas.a(ATL_zdot.o)
ATL_zdot_xp0yp0aXbX                 0x14d
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/libatlas.a(ATL_zdot.o)
ATL_zswap_xp0yp0aXbX                0x14a
/scratch/fultz/ATLAS/lib/SunOS_X
86/libatlas.a(ATL_zswap.o)
ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable
sections
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

What am I doing wrong?  I've been working on this for 2
weeks now, using different compile options, and different
compilers, all with similar problems.  I ONLY need the
Numeric module, thats it.

Thanks,
Charles Fultz