[SciPy-dev] ipython in enthon

Joe Cooper joe at enthought.com
Thu Nov 11 00:06:37 CST 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

> You might find some of this useful if you need to build a true
> installer.  If you get this to work, let me know what changes you made
> and I'll toss them into CVS.

Hey Fernando,

I'm down to iPython now as the last remaining piece of the puzzle before
I roll up a new test installer of Enthon.

Here's the problems I've run into:

setup.py doesn't respect prefix (at least on Windows--I haven't built an
RPM on Linux yet to find out how it behaves elsewhere), so it dumps
everything into my system default Python.  Not ideal for packaging.

The pythonwin stuff needs to be able to be disabled from the command
line.  It installs a bunch of bits on the local machine, which is
destructive to the build environment.  We can setup the shortcuts and
such in the enthon installation routines.

It hangs at the build phase, for some unknown reason, seemingly at or
near the end, because lots of stuff does actually get built.  I'll have
to dig a bit to see what's happening there.  It could be related to the
win32all installation, as it's installer freaked out in a weird way as
well, and refused to overwrite a file because python was running
(clearly--python was doing the install!).

So, all of the hard work you've done on making it install nicely on
Windows is getting in the way of packaging it for Windows.  Ideally, I'd
like a nice simple setup.py that builds everything and then copies the
right bits into the specified prefix and nothing else.  ;-)

I'm nearly illiterate when it comes to distutils, though I can usually
stumble through when I have to, so I'll see what I can do to make this
possible...but I wouldn't bet on anything useful coming from the effort.