[SciPy-dev] wgnuplot.exe dependency in 0.3.2

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Thu Nov 11 03:31:29 CST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Joe Cooper wrote:

[...]
> Arnd Baecker wrote:
[...]
> > P.S.: In view of the discussion in the ASP thread:
> > Are you also considering to package documancer,
> >   http://documancer.sourceforge.net/download.php
>
> Certainly not this release, and if I have my druthers, probably in no
> release in the future.  As far as I know, nothing on the ASP
> documentation front has really be decided--the debate is still up in the
> air, and documancer is quite large and has huge complicated dependencies
> (wxMozilla, swish-e, mozilla, perl, etc.).

well, documancer by itself is pretty small (<4MB, though
with wxmozilla bundled to the source this adds another 9MB).
For Windows it can use wxIEHtmlWin
(I can't try this because I am not using Windows),
so the dependencies on wxMozilla, and mozilla are not necessary.
The perl dependency comes from the  info2html provider,
which would not be necessary either.
Both for swish-e and wget  Vaclav provides win32 binaries.

Anyway, your points are definitively valid
(and I am not doing the packaging anway ;-).
I just thought to give this a try ;-)

> I doubt documancer is the
> right solution to the documentation problem, but I've been wrong before.
>   I'll try to find time to weigh in on the documentation discussion
> sometime soon,

Looking forward to your remarks!
(In particular in what respects documancer is lacking
and which other alternatives one should consider)

> and maybe we can herd all the cats in the same general
> direction and actually get some documentation written rather than just
> talked about.

I am optimistic that this will happen once the infrastructure for
  a) adding notes (I am very enthusiastic about the livedocs)
  b) being able to use them (pynotes?) straight away, also
     locally (after downloading an updated version)
is set up.

Well, this is getting a bit off-topic for this thread
and is definitively worth to be continued separately at some
point, but now I don't want to hold you up any further
second from packaging ...

Many thanks,

Arnd