[SciPy-dev] Re: [SciPy-user] Scipy.org layout

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Nov 17 13:30:32 CST 2004

Janet Swisher schrieb:

> I've removed the right column from the wiki area and the mailing list area.
> This should require a bit less scrolling. If it's still hard to use, please
> do send me a screen shot. If there are other areas that could benefit from
> this change, send me your suggestions. I don't think the right-hand slots
> (news, recent, and calendar) are really necessary below the top level of
> pages.

Great improvement, Janet, many thanks.  I think the documentation area could
use the same change.  There are also code snippets in there which suffer the
same 'squished in a center narrow box' problem that emails and the wiki had.

As I've said before, I'm not a website expert.  But the default plone layout
seems really problematic.  I've put up a screenshot at:

http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/fperez/tmp/scipy_main.png

so as not to clobber the list with a huge attachment.

You can see that the central column is so narrow as to be next to useless.
This is with a font layout and browser size which works for pretty much 99% of
the websites I visit.

Again, I don't know how easy this would be to improve, but at least I'll drop
my comments in.  At least removing the third column from most of the site
(except perhaps the front page) would be already a big help, even if it still
requires window maximization.

Again, many thanks for your attention to this.

Regards,