[SciPy-dev] CVS build just failed

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue Oct 12 00:43:39 CDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Fernando Perez wrote:

> Pearu Peterson wrote:
>
>> For some reason g77 is used for Fortran 77 codes and ifc for Fortran 90
>> codes, and the compiler flags get mixed up. Such a situation should not
>> happen normally as whenever you specify Fortran compiler to be ifc, it
>> should be used both for Fortran 77 and 90 codes.
>> How did you specified fortran compilers? What command line are you using
>> for building scipy?
>> The correct way to specify ifc is:
>>
>>    python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=intel build
>
> Mmh, weird.  This is on a new freshly installed machine, but a friend's.  I'm
> not sure how his environment variables were set up; I simply typed
>
> python setup.py build
>
> without specifying anything else.  Is it normal for scipy_distutils to pick
> up mixed compilers in this case?

No. In fact, since scipy does not have any Fortran 90 sources, you
shouldn't see the configuration info for fix and f90 compilers at all.
And that's most strange behaviour in this case, see fcompiler._compile
method for details.

> I guess I can use the line you suggested
> and just build everything with g77.  Could it be that this user's environment
> was set up in a way which confused distutils?  He's not (yet) a python user,
> so I don't know how much f2py-specific setup he might have in his home
> account, but perhaps there was some leftover crud from some old project.
>
> Which environment variables should I look for which could cause this?
> Besides getting it to work (which I can do with your suggestion above), I'd
> like to make sure that for a fresh new user something like this can't
> accidentally happen.  This is the kind of error which tends to discourage new
> users, so if a bit of additional instructions can prevent it, we can add that
> to the info on the website.

scipy_distutils/fcompiler.py looks for the following environment
variables ( see customize method):
   F77, F90, F77FLAGS, F90FLAGS, FREEFLAGS, FOPT, FARCH, FDEBUG, FFLAGS,
LDSHARED, LDFLAGS, RANLIB, ARFLAGS

Check also the output of

   python gnufcompiler.py --verbose
   python intelfcompiler.py --verbose