[SciPy-dev] ASP: comments on the web site

Joe Harrington jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Thu Oct 28 09:12:22 CDT 2004

Things have been quiet since we posted the ASP RFC, at least on the
concerns it raised.  It really is a request for your comments, and not
just a private plan of Perry's and mine.  Success in this area will
require everyone's participation, even if it's just evaluating what
others have done or said and expressing your opinions on this list.
All we're asking for at this point is for you to read the RFC, make
some comments in email, and help populate some wiki pages with links
and concerns.  If you're willing to do real work later, we're also
asking for you to sign up in the area you can work in.

So far only one discipline (astronomy) has posted a page of links on
the "Topical Software" wiki.  Subsequent to posting his page, Russell
Owen offered a critique of the web site, which we identified in the
ASP RFC as needing a makeover.  He's not on this list but hee allowed
me to post his comments here.  Please chime in and respond with your
own ideas of how to make the web site better, both to serve your needs
and to serve those of potential new users.

Finally, would someone from biology and from graphics please step up
to maintain similar pages for those areas?  We need someone from
*every* field, but I know there's lots of good application software in
both those areas.  Maintaining a wiki or a regular page takes only a
small amount of time, an hour a month or less once the page is up, but
it's a crucial step in attracting a broader user base.

Thanks!

--jh--