[SciPy-dev] Accessible SciPy (ASP) project

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sun Oct 31 17:44:28 CST 2004

Pearu Peterson wrote:

>> 2. determine whether IPython should go into the core,
>
> I am using it on dayly basis, so +1 from me.

How exactly is this supposed to work? An IPython package under scipy_core?

If so, what is the benefit? The only one that I can see is that when you
install scipy_core, you also install IPython. I don't see this being
much more useful than putting the IPython download link right next to
scipy's on the download page.

IPython seems to be orthogonal to scipy. I'd be -1 on making IPython
depend on scipy or scipy_core. IPython's potential audience is much
wider than scipy's. Looking the other way, I don't think scipy would
benefit much from having IPython as part of it. Perhaps when IPython
gets rewritten to be a more flexible library for building interactive
environments, then it would make some sense to bundle IPython into scipy.

But for now, I'm -1.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu