[SciPy-dev] MCMC, Kalman Filtering, AI for SciPy?

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Sep 30 00:49:47 CDT 2004

Robert Kern wrote:
> Fernando, could you give an example or two where you would want to
> replicate a function across sub-packages? I'm wary of doing so as there
> is already the enormous amount of replication with respect to, at least,
> the base Numeric functions. Try scipy.special.<tab> in IPython. I
> realize what you're proposing doesn't even come close to that, but I'd
> like an example in any case.

I didn't really have anything specific in mind.  I was actually thinking of
things I _do_ have in my filesystem, for example:

~/ref is my directory with 'reference' stuff
~/research is my dir. with all research-related things.

Where does research bibliography go?

Well, I just put:

~/ref/research -> ~/research/ref

with a symlink.

I was just presenting a generic argument that in _specific_ cases where one
might find a strong argument for something belonging in more than one place,
then a python name to replicate it (given the low cost) might be a good
solution.  I was just trying to offer a way out of possible dilemmas on where
to put something which _might_ need more than one home, not arguing for its
use.  I also think that such a measure should be used _sparingly_, and only
after careful consideration.

In practice, I think a reasonable (not necessarily perfect) hierarchy coupled
with a good search system will solve the problem quite nicely.

best,