[SciPy-dev] New Enthon Test Release

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Tue Apr 12 13:58:07 CDT 2005

Hi Joe,

    Joe> Hi all, I posted a new test release of Enthon yesterday, and
    Joe> I think this one is approaching useful.  I'm running out of
    Joe> things I can test, in my limited knowledge of all of the
    Joe> components that it contains.
[...]
    Joe> http://download.enthought.com/enthought_python-2.3.5-1069.exe

I gave it a whirl.  Install is smooth!  I have a few VTK gripes
though.

 1. On March 1st I sent you a mail on how I needed to reorganize the
    site-packages/vtk_python directory along with a directory listing.
    It does not look like this has been done for 1069.  Basically
    there are the following problems:

    a. You have two copies of the vtk*Python.dll files, one in
       vtk_python and one inside vtk_python/vtk.  You really should
       put all the dll's into the vtk_python dir and leave the
       vtk_python/vtk directory with pure Python modules.

    b. You don't need to build the Tcl libraries.  You do need to
       point VTK to the Tcl/Tk libraries in order to build the Tk
       widgets used by Tkinter but you don't need to build the Tcl
       bindings to get them built.

    I also posted some of these comments on Jan 28th.   See here
    (specifically look at point 6):

 2. It looks like you have not enabled GL2PS support for VTK.  I'd
    appreciate this very much.  To get this option do the following:
    when you run CMake, turn on the "show advanced values" and set
    VTK_USE_GL2PS on.  You can turn off the "show advanced values"
    once you do this.  Then re-configure and rebuild.  This allows
    users to save VTK scenes to vector PS/EPS/PDF files which is very
    handy.  I'd appreciate it very much if this feature could be
    incorporated in the next intermediate release of Enthon.  Then can
    I cut a 1.5 MayaVi release with a binary that supports gl2ps.

Thanks!

cheers,
prabhu