[SciPy-dev] Records module

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Dec 1 14:00:17 CST 2005

Recent SVN has the changes to the ndarray object to allow getfield to
also receive a tuple for the data type.   A tuple for the data-type in
getfield implies that the field is a sub-array.  The returned array has
this sub-array tacked on to the end of the shape (no data ever gets
moved around for field access, just the way it is viewed...)

With this change, I see being able to make record arrays essentially
just a map between field names and a (type, offset) pair --- where type
may itself be a tuple (actual type, shape).

Additionally:  It's fine to have a field method, I suppose, but would it
be possible to also do it with properties?

For each field name create a (dynamic) property with that name.  The get
property code maps the name to the (type, offset) pair using the stored
dictionary and uses getfield to extract that particular field.

I'm not sure if dynamic properties are possible, or if some other
attribute access would have to be implemented.  But it's something to
look into.

-Travis