[SciPy-dev] Data type change completed

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Dec 5 16:06:57 CST 2005

I've committed the data-type change discussed at the end of last week to
the SVN repository.  Now the concept of a data type for an array has
been replaced with a "data-descriptor".  This data-descriptor is
flexible enough to handle an arbitrary record specification with fields
that include records and arrays or arrays of records.  While nesting may
not be the best data-layout for a new design, when memory-mapping an
arbitrary fixed-record-length file, this capability allows you to handle
even the most obsure record file.

While the basic core tests pass for me, there may be lurking problems
and so testing of the SVN trunk of scipy core will be appreciated.  I've
bumped up the version number because the C-API has changed (a few new
functions and some functions becoming macros).

I'd like to make a release of the new version by the end of the week (as
soon as Chris Hanley at STSCI and I get records.py working better), so
please test.

Recently some intel c-compiler tests were failing on a 64-bit platform.
It would be nice to figure out why that is happening as well, but I will
probably not have time for that this week.

Thanks,

-Travis