[SciPy-dev] [SciPy-user] Benchmark data

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 17:23:56 CST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>>When we start to seriously look at this, we should consider using liboil
>>to implement these optimizations.
>
> Hey, great find, that looks just like the kind of thing we'll want at
> some point.
>
> One way this could be done is just like the dotblas extension module so
> that if liboil is found on your system, an extension module is loaded
> that replaces the respective inner-loops of the affected functions.
>
> Alternatively, at compile time, the right functions could be inserted in
> the ufunc function table to begin with...

liboil does this already. We would simply use the appropriate API
function, say oil_conv_f64_u32(). In import_array(), we would call
oil_init() which will select the appropriate implementations and make
the function pointers point to them. Sometimes, some of those choices
will be made at compile time, e.g. assembly implementations for the
wrong architecure won't be compiled; others will be made at initialization.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter