[SciPy-dev] issues with scipy and eggs

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Sat Dec 10 18:37:08 CST 2005

Robert Kern wrote:

>Andrew Straw wrote:
>

>>If I attempt to create an __init__.py in scipy/build/scipy/__init__.py
>>before doing "python setup.py bdist_egg" with those lines, I get the
>>same error.  (There doesn't seem to be a scipy/__init__.py in full scipy.)
>>

>It's been working for me when I make one in scipy/__init__.py; I try not to
>directly mess around inside the build directory if I can avoid it.

OK, but which "scipy" directory are you talking about?  When I do an svn
checkout of full scipy, there is no scipy directory. Only after I do
some building is there a "scipy" directory -- below "build".

>I think that this is a buglet in _import_tools.py. _format_titles(titles) is
>expecting titles to be non-empty. PackageImport is not expecting scipy_core and
>the rest of scipy to be in different places.
>
>The workaround for now is to comment out the last line in scipy_core's __init__.py .

OK, that does seem to eliminate the exception.

Thanks for your help on this...  I hope we can turn this stuff on by
default in scipy -- not to force anyone to use eggs, but just to allow
building as eggs without going through these hoops.