[SciPy-dev] scipy distutils questions

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Wed Dec 14 01:24:56 CST 2005

Hi,

we still have not been able to install scipy properly
on an Itanium2 (with gcc) because the self-compiled ATLAS requires
an additional libarary at link time.
See step 3 in Jan's message
http://www.scipy.org/mailinglists/mailman?fn=scipy-dev/2005-December/004405.html
for more details.

Because of this I tried to debug this a bit,
but already running  `systeminfo.py` does not work:

core> python scipy/distutils/system_info.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "scipy/distutils/system_info.py", line 112, in ?
    from exec_command import find_executable, exec_command, get_pythonexe
  File
"/home/abaecker/BUILDS2/Build_104/core/scipy/distutils/exec_command.py",
line 58, in ?
    from log import _global_log as log
  File "/home/abaecker/BUILDS2/Build_104/core/scipy/distutils/log.py",
line 7, in ?
    from scipy.distutils.misc_util import red_text, yellow_text, cyan_text
ImportError: No module named scipy.distutils.misc_util

If I remember correctly, something like this used to work for old
scipy and was very helpful to find out about which libraries are
detected. Of course one can start the install and then do CTRL-c.

Possible solution:
As `system_info.py` is buried deep I would propose
to add a `library_info.py` directly under core
which does the same as `setup.py`, apart from the
`#setup( **config.todict() )` line.

Another option is to add a script
  complete_system_info.py
which contains the two lines
  import scipy.distutils.system_info
  scipy.distutils.system_info.show_all()
(Maybe this is too  much on the level of scipy core, because
it might confuse new users about the dependencies, but
for debugging this is really what I need ... ;-)

Concerning the other distutils problems:
it would be very nice if we could get some guidance on how to solve them.

Best,

Arnd