[SciPy-dev] fftpack issues - not just OS X

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Wed Dec 21 01:23:18 CST 2005

> This sounds like issues with the new package loader scheme that is being
> introduced.  This needs to be fixed urgently.

I don't know if this is related, but it seems undesirable to me:

>>> from scipy.stats import norm
Failed to import fftpack
No module named fftpack
Failed to import signal
No module named fftpack
[i.e., importing "norm" this way works as expected; but...]

>>> from scipy.random import normal
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named random

>>> import scipy.stats as stats
>>> stats
<module 'scipy.stats' from '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/
stats/__init__.pyc'>
>>> import scipy.random as random
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named random

But random is certainly there:

>>> from scipy import *
>>> random
<module 'scipy.basic.random' from '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/
scipy/basic/random.pyc'>
>>> random.normal
<built-in method normal of mtrand.RandomState object at 0x3e0d0>
>>> from scipy import random

-Tom