[SciPy-dev] old web site front page

Joe Harrington jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Wed Dec 21 08:29:46 CST 2005

I've recently gotten an inquiry from a new site that wants to install
scipy.  They wanted RPM packages and a Yum repo.  I explained the
current situation and they suggested posting a more detailed notice on
the front page of the web site advising new users of the situation and
giving them the options.  I think this is a good idea.  I've pasted
some text below, as a starting point, to replace paragraphs 5 and 6 of
the current front page.  Please comment, and also say if you disagree
that a more detailed notice on the scipy.org site is a good thing.

--jh--

SciPy is nearing completion of a major overhaul.  The new SciPy
features high performance for both small and large arrays, and rich
syntactic functionality for both.  This effort is mostly done.  We are
now beating the bugs out of the various platform builds to make stable
binary installs.  Documentation is also well underway.

If you are new to SciPy, there are several reasonable paths to take,
depending on your circumstances:

1. If you can wait until the Spring of 2006, the new package, binary
installers, and its basic documentation should be ready by then.  This
is the path of least resistance, and we recommend it!

2. If you must run an application that requires either old version of
the array extension to Python (Numeric or Numarray), go ahead and
install that version.  They will both be viable for some time to come.

3. If you are experienced with software installs and like getting your
hands dirty, download the tarball for the new version, build it for
your architecture, take notes, subscribe to scipy-dev at scipy.net, and
post your notes once you've read recent threads in a similar vein.
Your experience will help us, and other new users, a great deal.

Where to get the different versions:

The new SciPy core is being distributed from http://numeric.scipy.org/
and http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/ (click on SciPy_core).  We
strongly recommend subscribing to both scipy-dev at scipy.net and
scipy-user at scipy.net while the software is still in testing, and
updating whenever a new release occurs.  A version of full SciPy that
works on newcore is available for anyonymous check out from a
Subversion repostitory at http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk. File
downloads are available on this site or from Sourceforge.

Old (Numeric-based) SciPy is available from
http://www.scipy.org/download/ and has a Yum repo at
http://www.enthought.com/python/fedora/.  Most of the material on this
web site refers to the old, Numeric-based SciPy.

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!

At this point, if you just do things for yourself and post what you
do, you'll make a big contribution.  Initially, that will help us get
the code into release-stable form.  Eventually, it will make a
friendly and easy set of installation instructions a reality.

We are also looking for people to write documentation and to help
design and populate the new SciPy web site.  The new site is
http://new.scipy.org.