[SciPy-dev] Sorting speed

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Dec 30 14:30:21 CST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> There are many sorting algorithms in numarray.  I'm not sure which one
> is being used regularly, but I'd like to see them brought over, though,
> which shouldn't be too big of a deal and is on the radar.

It may be worth noting that the sort code in python's core, for
somelist.sort(), is to my understanding, state of the art.  Tim Peters a while
ago (py2.2, I think) brought the full weight of his considerable algorithmic
talent to bear on this problem, as well as some recent academic results.  I
don't know how this compares to what numarray uses, but it may be worth
investigating/copying.

If Tim's work is as good as it is claimed to be (and I have much respect for
his claims), it might be a good idea to use a stripped version of his code
which doesn't have to deal with the generalities of python lists (and all the
per-item typechecking needed there).

Just an idea...

Best,