[SciPy-dev] install problems, SUSE, check_heev

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Thu Feb 3 03:25:07 CST 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Arnd Baecker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am going through my yearly torture to install an up-to-date
> scipy&Co on SUSE for our computational physics course:
>
> Installation of scipy works fine, but
>  import scipy ; scipy.test(1,verbosity=10)
> gives
>  check_heev  (scipy.lib.lapack.test_lapack.test_flapack_complex)
>  Speicherzugriffsfehler = "memory error"
>
> I am not quite sure if this is related to the long thread ending with
>  http://www.scipy.org/mailinglists/mailman?fn=scipy-dev/2004-December/002742.html
>
> So before I really start digging through all the suggestions
> there I would like to hear your advice!

Relinking ATLAS libraries with a Fortran LAPACK compiled with -O2 is a
(probable) way to fix this segfault.

Also (I could not find the corresponding thread at the moment)
watch out -fno-f2c flag in LAPACK/make.inc file
when compiling LAPACK libraries: someone reported that choosing this
flag properly fixed the segfault. Though in my debian sid box -fno-f2c
works fine, then see

   http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/errata.html#nof2c

that advices not to use -fno-f2c flag with g77.

If the combination "use -O2" and "remove -fno-f2c" fixes the issue, then
I am curious if also "use -O3" and "remove -fno-f2c" works.

Pearu