[SciPy-dev] Absoft & Scipy

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Thu Feb 3 12:35:32 CST 2005

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> Check Absoft compiler
> manual if it provides options that forces external names to be
> appended with exactly *one* underscore, and try to modify
> scipy_distutils/absoftfcompiler.py accordingly.

Sigh.  I found the problem but am not sure of a workaround.  I've
created an /opt/absoft/default.opt file locally which forces Absoft to
use the '-g77' switch on all compiles for maximum compatibility with
binaries from that compiler.   This means that it does the double
underscore append.  Without -g77 and with -YEXT_SFX=_ on the Absoft
command line, one gets a single underscore as desired.  With both, one
gets three underscores!

 From my point of view, the simplest solution would be for f2py to
respect g77's defaults rather than override them, even though in this
case I agree g77's default is stupid.  But there's a better reason than
personal preference:  If I install fftw from the Fedora RPMs, they were
compiled with g77 and therefore have the double underscores on external
names with embedded underscores.  I need to minimize the time I spend
doing admin tasks (see my recent conversation with Fernando) and would
rather not have to add fftw to the list of things I have to compile
myself with special switches to keep scipy working.