[SciPy-dev] CVS scipy.test() segfaulting on me on a Fedora2 box

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Mon Jan 10 11:00:30 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 21:28, Todd Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 16:58 -0600, Pearu Peterson wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Todd Miller wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone confirm that using -O2 for lapack fixes this?
> > >  I thought I'd worked around this (crash in ATL_cdotc_xp0yp0aXbX ())
> > > using Pearu's advice but I'm seeing it again.
> > > Was the scipy ATLAS ever  re-built?
> >
> > No. Rebuilding all scipy ATLAS libraries is a rather time consuming task
> > and I was hoping that someone could confirm that the proposed fix works
> > before I'd spend time on it. Otherwise its just a waste my time if it
> > turns out that using -O2 does not fix the issue.
>
> Sorry Pearu.  I think I panicked here and then saw that this was still
> an open issue while I was looking for hints.  SciPy's head built fine
> for me today and all the tests passed.  If I recall correctly,  there is
> some important update to the head that's missing from the numarray
> branch so when I built the numarray branch, it failed.  I'll resolve it
> Monday morning and report back but I think this was just confusion on my
> part.
>
> Regards,
> Todd

I was able to resolve this (again).  The root problem was incorrect
detection of ATLAS so other people seeing the ATL_cdotc_xp0yp0aXbX()
crash should check their build output for correct ATLAS info. In my case
the ATLAS detection failure was brought on by using a debug Python build
which produces "extra" output about reference counts.  Pearu already
debugged this for me but it never made it onto the numarray branch and I
forgot about it over the holidays.  My apologies...

Todd