[SciPy-dev] Merged numarray branch

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 11 07:54:12 CST 2005

Norbert Nemec wrote:
> How about adding one more way to configure numerix: apart from checking the
> command line and the environment, one could also check a global variable
> 'numerix':
>
>  if 'numerix' in globals().keys():
>   which = globals()['numerix'], 'global variable'
>
> That way, one could simply do a
>
>  globals()['numerix'] = 'numarray'
>  from scipy import *
>
> at the beginning of a script without worrying about the environment.

globals() is actually local to the module.

#--file1.py--

globals()['numerix'] = 'numarray
import file2
#------------

#--file2.py--
print globals()['numerix']
#------------

$ python file2.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "file1.py", line 2, in ?
     import file2
   File "/Users/kern/file2.py", line 1, in ?
     print globals()['numerix']
KeyError: 'numerix'

I think it's better to have an external setting which will work with all
packages that have numerix capabilities (like matplotlib and scipy).

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter