[SciPy-dev] Python (Enthought Edition) for Windows test release

Joe Cooper joe at enthought.com
Wed Jan 19 04:23:16 CST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 04:02 -0600, Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Joe Cooper wrote:
>
> > I'll need to track down who is handling the SciPy releases these days
> > and see what the likelihood of a new release is.
>
> I guess one person would be me:).
>
> I think we have agreed to release Scipy on a half-yearly basis, at least.
> 0.3.2 was released on October 2004, so formally the next release should
> be around April 2005. But I am not saying that we could not make the
> next release earlier than that.

In that case, I suspect it will coincide nicely with the Enthon 2.4
release, and I'll just track SciPy for Enthon releases from that point
forward, releasing every six months.  SciPy is the heart and soul of
Enthon, and given that I'd like to /only/ have released software in
Enthon, it seems like SciPy releases are what I need to track.

> I think the current SciPy in CVS has the same functionality as in 0.3.2
> plus many bug fixes and new features and so would be appropiate replacing
> 0.3.2 in Enthought Edition if all tests pass ok.

So it would be a appropriate to use a CVS version in a new Enthon
release, but not in a new tarball release version of SciPy?  Even
thought it has many bug fixes and new features and does not break old
code?

> However, there are too many unfinished tasks in SciPy CVS (e.g.
> creating Lib/lib, numarray support, doc updates, etc.) that I would not
> recommend making a new Scipy release in early future.

I think you just set too high a standard for "releases".  ;-)

That said, SciPy is your boat to bail and Enthon is mine.  I'll run
SciPy from CVS, if that's the best possible SciPy for Enthon users.