[SciPy-dev] gplt suggestion: initcmd

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jul 15 11:16:45 CDT 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
> Michael J Gruber wrote:
>

>>My suggestion: matplotlib, mayavi, PyX should be mentioned in the SciPy
>>doc at least on the same footing as gplt/xplt/plt, if not with
>>precedence. This should be reflected in the examples.
>

> Indeed. I don't think anyone is arguing against this. It just boils down
> to people volunteering their time to implement it.

OK, I have a concrete suggestion which can be implemented in very little time.
  It's a bit brutal, but I really can't spend the time it would take to build
a proper deprecation framework:

1. We edit the setup.py for scipy, and at the end we change:

if __name__ == "__main__":
      ignore_packages = [
          # list of package names that will not be built.
          ]
      setup_package(ignore_packages)

into:

if __name__ == "__main__":
      ignore_packages = [
          # list of package names that will not be built.
          # Those listed by default are deprecated packages slated for
	 # future deletion from scipy.  If you still need them, comment them
	 # out, but be aware that they will be deleted from the sources
	 # in the future.
          'xplt',
          'gplt',
          'plt',
          'gui_thread',
          ]
      setup_package(ignore_packages)

This kills installation of *plt and gui_thread, the 4 packages which
consistently cause grief to users and burn bandwidth.

Note that we do NOT remove them from the tree.  Anyone who needs them can have
them installed by simply commenting out the lines they wish.

2. Remove the references to these 4 packages from the main scipy docstring.
that's a 4-line change.

These two changes are easy to implement (about 10 minutes worth of work).  The
problem becomes how to point users to the equivalent functionality.  For that
I propose:

3. Change the scipy and plotting tutorials to use matplotlib.  This needs a
bit more work, but it's not super hard.  The problem is that matplotlib does
NOT have 3d plotting, so MayaVi would have to be mentioned (or gnuplot).
MayaVi itself is easy to install, but VTK (its core dependency) is not.

I currently have way too many things on my plate, so I couldn't help with 3
immediately (though perhaps in a month or so).  1 and 2 could be done
literally in 10 minutes.  But the problem is that these changes are somewhat
harsh, and I'm not about to go ahead with them without some minimal consensus
from other devs, ESPECIALLY those who invested their time and effort into the
*plt modules.  I certainly am not trying to trample over their work.

Cheers,