[SciPy-dev] Bugfix for weave's catalog.

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 17 12:03:54 CDT 2005


John Hunter wrote:
>>>>>>"Fernando" == Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> writes:
> 
> 
>     >> John Hunter wrote:
>     >>>  The weave demo code I was running at Los Alamos showed this
>     >>> bug so it will be a good test case.  I have it on my laptop at
>     >>> home, and so can't send it now.  Fernando, do you have a copy
>     >>> of the roadshow directory on your laptop?
> 
>     Fernando> Actually, I just checked and that stuff never made it to
>     Fernando> SVN, so I don't have it.  Could you either commit it or
>     Fernando> mail it to me so I can test and see if my fix also works
>     Fernando> for your code?
> 
> 
> OK, just did a fresh checkout of scipy from CVS on my powerbook G4,
> and the bug was still present when running the test script.

That's because I hadn't committed anything yet :)

Now that Prahbu clarified that he didn't expect a full-blown unittest 
for this thing, I just committed all the fixes.  They also include 
better weave messages, and the headers problem correction.  I'm 
attaching the testing script here, modified to rely only on scipy and 
not matplotlib.  It also runs the weave tests twice, to try and show to 
the user whether there is really a problem or not.

I'd appreciate if others could test this and let us know if the problems 
are really fixed or not (multi-platform feedback would be most welcome, 
I only have access to a linux system).

Prabhu, feel free to stick this test script anywhere in the tree you 
think is a appropriate; I didn't commit it b/c I wasn't sure where to 
put it.  All code is otherwise committed already.

Back to real work now...

Best,

f

ps - other devs: does anyone have any tips on how to fluidly set things 
up for working with scipy CVS which is changing frequently?

I find it really painful to have to rebuild all of scipy when I make 
changes, but I don't know, short of writing makefiles which duplicate 
setup.py, how to avoid recompiling all the extension modules from 
scratch, which takes a long time.  As far as I know, distutils is pretty 
dumb when it comes to make-like dependency analysis and as-needed-only 
recompilation.

Any pointers on this front would be tremendously useful (if someone 
writes this up, it would be great to append it to the Developers.txt 
document in the sources.  I can do that if nobody else does).

I'm used to dealing with heavily-changing code only in ipython, 
matplotlib and mayavi, and those are mostly pure python, hence far 
easier to deal with with just some PYTHONPATH tricks.  For matplotlib I 
rarely modify the extensions, so I just symlink the .so files by hand. 
But scipy is too complex for that approach, and I feel a bit lost right 
now.  Pointers most welcome...
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: weave_recompile_bug.py
Url: http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/attachments/20050617/51034990/attachment.pl 


More information about the Scipy-dev mailing list