[SciPy-dev] Re: [SciPy-user] Re: Future directions for SciPy in light of meeting at Berkeley

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Wed Mar 9 11:22:56 CST 2005

Hi Joe,

    JH> SciPy will reach the open-source jumping-off point when an
    JH> outsider has the following experience: They google, find us,
    JH> visit us, learn what they'll be getting, install it trivially,
    JH> and read a tutorial that in less than 15 minutes has them
    JH> plotting their own data.  In that process, which will take
    JH> less than 45 minutes total, they must also gain confidence in
    JH> the solidity and longevity of the software and find a
    JH> supportive community.  We don't meet all the elements of this
    JH> test now.  Once we do, people will be ready to jump on and
    JH> work the open-source magic.

Do you already have the top level document that guides the new user
through this 15 minute drill?  If you don't, would it help if I took a
stab at it?  I often find that a top level document of this form helps
us fill in the blanks.

I'm not promising much, just an overall first page with a bunch of
internal links to other wiki pages that will eventually be filled in
over time by everyone.

If you think this would be of any use, please let me know off-list.
Thanks.

[...]
    JH>    knew where the repository was.  It's:
    JH>    http://www.enthought.com/python/fedora/$releasever We need
    JH>    someone to write installation notes for each package

I think its a good first start to just stick stubs for each of these.

cheers,
prabhu