[SciPy-user] Re[2]: [SciPy-dev] Future directions for SciPy in light of meeting at Berkeley

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Wed Mar 9 16:36:11 CST 2005

>> I think the proposal is: development effort is a function
>> of community size, and community size is a function of
>> convenience as well as functionality.

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:22:42 +0530 Prabhu Ramachandran
<prabhu_r at users.sourceforge.net> apparently wrote:
> To put it bluntly, I don't believe that someone who can't install
> scipy today is really capable of contributing code to scipy.  I
> seriously doubt claims that scipy is scary or hard to
> install today.

I agree, but that is beside the point.
The community does not consist only of developers.
Even bringing in students, e.g. from engineering, biology,
and economics, matters for this.  Or so I claim.

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005, Stephen Walton apparently wrote:
> Finally, as I mentioned at SciPy04, our particular physics
> department is at an undergraduate institution (no Ph.D.
> program), so we mainly produce majors who stop at the B.S.
> or M.S. degree.  Their job market seems to want MATLAB
> skills, not Python, at the moment, so that's what the
> faculty are learning and teaching to their students.

Yes! And market desired skills are also a function of
community size as well as functionality.

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, konrad.hinsen at laposte.net apparently wrote:
> I can install SciPy, but given that
> most of my code is written with the ultimate goal of being published
> and used by people with less technical experience, I need to take those
> people into account when choosing packages to build on.

Yes indeed!

Cheers,
Alan Isaac