[SciPy-dev] Possible bug

Gary Ruben gruben at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 16 04:21:12 CST 2005

I recently tried installing Fernando Perez's iPython under win98 and
experienced a small problem, which he suggests might be a scipy problem.

Typing
import scipy
help(scipy)

or

help
scipy

in a Win98 DOS window running iPython starts displaying the help but
freezes the DOS window once a screenful of help is displayed.

If I run iPython from the IPython_shell.py shortcut and look at the
running processes, I note two:
Winoldap
python    <- DOS shell

If I then type
help
scipy

I notice that the DOS window title changes from Python to GNUPLO~1 and
some gnuplot processes start up:
Winoldap
GNUPLO~1  <- DOS shell
Gnuplot_helper
Win32popenwin9x
Wgnuplot

The DOS window freezes up.
I don't know why gnuplot is starting.
The help> prompt system in iPython seems to work for other cases, so it
seems scipy specific. It's not a showstopper for me by any means.

Gary R.